Every summer has a story. Are you ready to write yours?
In collaboration with friends who craft many of the tools we rely on to write, edit, and produce Take Control books and TidBITS articles, we’re having a sale!
You can also save 25% on some of our favorite writing apps (more about them below). This isn’t a bundle deal, nor are there any gimmicks or requirements—just a straightforward sale for Mac writers and anyone who wants to be more organized or tackle document-related projects.
How can Take Control help? Here are just a few of the ways:
- Get more out of your apps: We want to make you better at what you do, perhaps via our books about group messaging phenomenon Slack or recently updated titles covering favorites like 1Password, Audio Hijack, Dropbox, and PDFpen. We also focus on Apple’s Photos and Mail apps, and provide the documentation you need about Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.
- Make your Mac work better: Our friend and star author Joe Kissell has just released some new and updated Joe On Tech titles that explain how you can speed up, maintain, and troubleshoot your Mac.
- Control your Apple devices with confidence: Apple’s hardware lineup has expanded far beyond the Mac, and our authors are ready to help you set up, use, or solve problems with your iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, or Apple TV.
- Stay current with Apple’s OSes and services: Whether it’s El Capitan or iCloud, iOS 9 or OS X Server, we have books that both explain the basics and delve into Apple’s latest changes.
Our catalog features many more gems, so feel free to browse!
The SummerFest sale also includes a curated collection of 14 apps, some of which we rely on daily. If you take your writing seriously, do yourself a favor and invest in the tools that help you convey your ideas to the world:
- You can plot out the chronology of any story with Aeon Timeline.
- Every TidBITS article is written in the powerful text editor BBEdit.
- If references are essential in your writing, check out Bookends for help with collecting, annotating, curating, and citing published information.
- DEVONthink Pro Office is a superb tool for storing notes and research materials and a key part of Joe Kissell’s paperless office strategy.
- Build precise searches and find your files faster with HoudahSpot.
- For long, complex documents and macro-driven text, the word processor Nisus Writer Pro is unparalleled — we rely on it for all Take Control books.
- When it comes to editing PDFs, Smile’s PDFpen hits the sweet spot between Apple’s free Preview and Adobe’s pricey Acrobat Pro.
- Literature & Latte’s Scapple helps you record and connect ideas, and Scrivener enables you to turn your research and ideas into a manuscript.
- • Create plain text to-do lists with the outlining capabilities of TaskPaper.
- TextExpander saves you from typing out frequently used words and phrases, and Tonya and I both use it heavily.
- Eastgate Systems’ Tinderbox helps you organize, plan, and map your thoughts, and Storyspace is the app in which I wrote my senior honors thesis about Hypertextual Fiction at Cornell University way back in 1989.
- When you need to eliminate distractions while setting your thoughts down, try the minimalist writing environment WriteRoom.
Make sure you use the SUMMERFEST2016 coupon code when ordering.
Best wishes for a summer filled with prodigious productivity!